Wednesday, July 23, 2014

a bow tie baby quilt

Hello and a lovely day to you!
It's been a fun week finishing up a couple custom orders, and working on a new project! For the #handsewpatchwork sew-a-long with zakkaArt we learned how to make a cute bow tie, which I made the sweet yellow one above. 
Well, I was so excited to learn how because awhile back I was reading through the May 1951 Workbasket magazine and came across this darling baby necktie quilt. Such perfect timing! They each measure about 5 1/2 inches, so I am not sure how many I will be making for the baby quilt. There block is little smaller and they suggest 749 bow ties! Well, I don't think I will be doing that many! ;) I think I will be sticking with maybe 50, plus the solid in between each one. And, each solid you hand quilt a bow tie, which will be sweet.
And, these are the ones I have made so far. These two have a vintage fabric bow tie, as I thought it would be fun to do a mix of vintage and new fabrics.
Some of my favorite Japanese reproduction fabrics!
 The purple one is a vintage fabric, which I just love! I don't have a lot of purple in my stash, but have recently started collecting more! I look forward to sharing my progress on the quilt with you! It's such a relaxing and enjoyable process to hand sew each bow tie block and it will be a quilt of love!
I finished this pretty tote bag for my mom yesterday for a very late birthday present. I made it in some of her favorite colors, and some of my favorite prints. ;) It's all sweetly packaged and ready to be mailed out to her. Hope she likes it!!

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting with me today! Wishing you a most lovely and crafty week!! xo


29 comments:

  1. I just love your stuff! The bowties are so sweet. I know your Mom is going to be thrilled with what you have done.

    blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that bag you made for your mom! So pretty. And your bow tie quilt pieces are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Heather.
    I've never seen the bow tie pattern before... it is so adorable!!!
    Love the squares that you've done, so far.

    How can your mom not LOVE the tote??!!!
    It turned out beautifully!!

    Have a wonderful rest of your week.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, your bow tie blocks are the sweetest things I ever saw! Your mom will love the bag. It's beautiful! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love visiting your blog...it's almost like visiting my Grandma Patta with her dolls and fabric scraps and lots of sweet projects she came up with just for me. The bow-tie quilt will be so pretty when it is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bowtie blocks are so pretty and will make such a sweet baby quilt! I love the bag you made for your Mom and I'm sure she will too. Happy week, Heather.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bow tie design and can't wait to see some more made with the Japanese fabric.....xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty bag you made for your Mom!!! Interesting bow design. Have a great weekend.
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to share your bowtie blocks with my mom. So pretty. Your fabric selections make everything absolutely perfect. I'm loving all your sneak peeks on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heather! Your bow ties are the cutest!! I just love your sweet fabrics that you are using! And so neat you are using vintage and new too! Your bag you made for your mom is just lovely, I'm sure she will just adore it!! (: Have a lovely evening!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bow tie quilt....yours will be exceptional! And that tote bag is soooo darling! What a precious gift to your Mother...I'm sure she will cherish it~~~Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Heather, the bow tie quilt squares are darling! And the tote bag you made for your mom is simply beautiful! I always enjoy your fabric choices - you have a wonderful eye for that :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these block Heather and your fabric combos are gorgeous!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  14. your mom will be thrilled with her new tote! super fabrics : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bowties and the tote too!

    xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooo sweet!!! You are so very talented!!! Someday I plan to purchase one of your lovely creations!!! I also love the little bonnet girl displayed! Did you make her? I would love to have the pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! ;) She is a vintage needle book, but I would love to recreate her soon! xo Heather

      Delete
  17. Love the bowties baby quilt - and your mom will LOVE the sweet bag - it's darling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a wonderful gift to open, who wouldn't love it!?! your sewing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bow ties look great. I am very behind. I have the first block cut out. Your mom is going to love her tote.
    It is so sweet.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your bow ties and the fabric you are using, and your mom's bag is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You use the most beautiful fabrics for your projects, and you have a real knack for choosing which ones go together, and I think that's a real talent. Trust me, some of us are NOT blessed with it! Love the bowtie blocks and that gorgeous bag you made for your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such pretty things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, pretty. This is going to be lovely Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I stumbled across your blog and I was in heaven! I love vintage and crochet. Beautiful things to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that bow-tie design! So pretty! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, it is so refreshing to visit your sweet pages. I just love the fabrics you put together. Pretty and precious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my gosh Heather!! I'm absolutely swooning over your bowtie blocks, ahhhh they are just gorgeous! They will make a fabulous baby quilt. I wish I didn't have so many other projects going on right now because I would want to make the exact same version as you! Your fabric choices are perfection as always. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for leaving your comments! It truly makes my day. I will always do my very best to reply or answer any questions. If you are a no-reply blogger, you can leave your email so I can reply or answer your questions. Have a blessed day!