Friday, May 4, 2012

huge harold


This Friday's book is Huge Harold written and illustrated by Bill Peet, and published in 1961. This is another favorite of mine from Bill Peet. I just adore Harold and his sweet face and large thumpers!! 
There are a lot pages in this book, so I am going to show you some of my favorite illustrations and pages! It will just make you have to find a copy to read it all! ;) 
Look at Harold in the middle!! Those feet are so cute!! Poor little Harold's feet just kept growing, and his parents were afraid he was going to grow to "such great height."

They were right!! So, they told Harold he had to go find a place to live in the deep woods, because he was too big to live with them. So sad..

Off he hops through to the forest. "I must say," said Harold, "it doesn't look cheery. It looks very spooky and creepy and eery. I suppose," he continued, "there's nothing to fear, For it doesn't seem likely there's anyone here." I just love the rhyming pattern!!
So, he continues on his way to find the perfect place to live. He comes to a farm, and rests on a pile of hay. But, the cows and the pig did not want him there. "So he left the cow pasture and went on his way."
Poor sweet Huge Harold is so sad and cold, for he has not found a place where he will fit in to live. 
A storm comes, so Harold runs to find shelter in the old mansion. I think it is a pretty neat house! 
Great illustration!! Look at those feet!
Poor Harold ran into some boys in the old mansion, so they got the fellow men to hunt him down. Love his face! So innocent! ;) 
He runs, and runs from all the burly men, until he sees a large friendly barn, with some fluffy hay! "This is the end, I'm through running away."
As he was sleeping the farmer, Orville B. Croft heard a loud snoring. "Well now," he said, "doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit!"
Orville B. Croft was very gentle and kind, and let Harold stay with horse to munch on some hay. But, poor Harold thought he was just being nice so he could fatten him up for supper.
Boy, was Huge Harold wrong!! Now, who wouldn't want a large rabbit pulling your carriage!! Love it!
At the races they couldn't find a rule against rabbits running the race, so Harold ran, and...
He won the race!! Huge Harold was so happy and the crowd just loved him! "But all this success didn't go to his head, He remained very modest and humble instead. For rabbits you see aren't affected by fame, No matter what happens they're always the same."

Such a cute book!! Hope you enjoyed!! Have a most lovely Friday!! Join me for this Friday's Lil'Vintage Story Books with the most lovely Corey.  





22 comments:

  1. Yes, what a really cute book! I love the one where he's still little- such a cutie! My kids would love this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corey!! He is pretty darn cute when he was little!! xo Heather

      Delete
  2. Loved the picture of Huge Harold pulling the cart - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Kathy!! That is a great pic!! xo Heather

      Delete
  3. So lovely !!!

    Rosine ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosine!! So glad you came by to visit!! Have a great weekend! xo Heather

      Delete
  4. I was so pleased to see this. I am a huge fan of vintage children's stories - in fact I spent a good half an hour in the second hand bookshop today perusing the vintage story books. They take me back and always put a huge smile on my face. Never seen this one, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good!! I love them and collect them, too!! Have a great day my dear!! xo Heather

      Delete
  5. It reminds me of the movie Elf, it's adorable too! Having been 5'3 in 6th grade, I can identify with the tall thing. Smile.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am on the other end, being short!! ;) xo Heather

      Delete
  6. How cute!! I've just found you and Corey and I'll continue visiting you because I'm also a fan of these old picture books. I collect vintage children's dishes and that's the way I start loving them.
    Besos from Buenos Aires, Argentina! (and sorry for my poor English).
    Silvina from Tazas y Cuentos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silvina!! Thank you so much for coming by and visiting!! I am glad you enjoyed the story!! It is a fun one!! Have a beautiful day!! xo Heather

      Delete
  7. Harold is quite the bunny. His feet are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant book - i love the illustrations.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nina!! Have a lovely day!! xo Heather

      Delete
  9. Heather, this is such a very cute book! I love the big bunny and his feet.Thanks for sharing such a sweet story.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie!! Thank you!! I am so glad you enjoyed the sweet story!! I just love Harold!! Have a lovely day! xo Heather

      Delete
  10. You have me with these Peet books. I love this one...so sweet and rhyming. Smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable tale! Now that my sons are all grown up, I don't sit and read these little books by the hour like I used to. Thank you for a sweet peek back into the world of make believe...Huge Harold is such a lovable fella!
    Smiles across the miles, my new friend!
    Carolynn x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolynn!! Thank you!! Harold is such a lovable guy!! Many hugs to you today!! xo Heather

      Delete

Thank you kindly for leaving your comments! It truly makes my day. I will always do my very best to reply or answer any questions. If you are a no-reply blogger, you can leave your email so I can reply or answer your questions. Have a blessed day!